After the riots in 1946, Mahatma Gandhi visited Begumganj upazila of Noakhali district and visited a place called Jayag in present day Sonaimuri municipality.At that time land lord Barrister Hemant Kumar Ghosh, donated all his property through a trust for the promotion of Gandhi’s ideals and preservation of Gandhiji’s memory, and established an ashram named after him. The trust was originally registered as the Ambika Kaliganga Charitable Trust but changed its name to Gandhi Ashram Trust in 1975. There is also a museum named after Gandhiji in the Gandhi Ashram which preserves more than one hundred pictures of Gandhiji’s then visit to Noakhali and used items and published writings. At present the ashram is working as a trust for rural development.
Gandhi Ashram is a spectacular historical monument in Noakhali. It is located about 25 km north of Noakhali District Sadar Maijdee Court on the side of the road adjacent to Joyag Bazar in Sonaimuri Upazila. The Gandhi Ashram was established at the house of the late Barrister Hemant Kumar Ghosh, then a zamindar. At present Gandhi Ashram has gained a nationwide reputation as a service organization in Noakhali. As far as the brief history of this exceptional organization is concerned, the poison of communalism spread all over India till the end of 1946. Then the effects of the communal riots in West Bengal came to Noakhali. Especially in Ramganj police station of Laxmipur district there was a commotion of communalism. Many arranged families are burnt in the fire of the torch, the green soil turns red in the blood flood of communal riots.
Mahatma Gandhi, the forerunner of the non-cooperation and non-violence movement, rushed to Noakhali as a pioneer of the peace mission. The first Mahatma Gandhi entered Noakhali on November 7, 1946 at Chaumuhani railway station. The then MLA The first public meeting of Noakhali was held at Chaumuhani on the initiative of Shri Haran Ghosh Chowdhury. Mahatma Gandhi was the first to address that public meeting. Then he held a public meeting in Dattapara village. His ordeal continued continuously. Thus, on January 29, 1947, he reached the village of Jayag. On that day, Hemant Kumar Ghosh Mahasaya, the son of the first barrister of the village of Jayag, Noakhali district, dedicated the movable and immovable property of his zamindari in the name of Mahatma Gandhi for the purpose of public welfare. The management of the ashram was entrusted to Gandhiji’s beloved, public servant novice, Chirkumar on Mr. Charu Chowdhury. From then on, the development of the fortunes of the locals started through the utilization of the said property. At present Mrs. Jharna Dhara Chowdhury is working as the Secretary of Gandhi Ashram Trust.
How to go:
From Noakhali District Sadar Maijdi to Sonaimuri any local bus service / CNG auto rickshaw can be added, get off at Jayag Bazar, go by rickshaw or half a kilometer on foot to reach Gandhi Ashram.
If you have more information or any correction in this information please comment here.