University of Chittagong (CU for short) is a government multi-faculty research university located in Chittagong, Bangladesh. It was established in 1966 in Hath-hazari upazila of Chittagong district. It is the third largest university in the country and the largest in terms of campus size. There are about 22,000 students and 687 teachers
Before the independence of Bangladesh, this university became the center of the progressive and democratic movement in the then East Pakistan. At that time, the teachers and students of the university played a central role in the rise of Bengali nationalism and the independence of Bangladesh.
At present there are 21 educational institutions under Chittagong University (Chittagong Bishwabidyalay). Here is the largest university library in Chittagong. Many notable alumni learned and taught at this university, including one Nobel laureate and several Ekushey Medal winners. The University of Chittagong is ranked 4682nd among other universities in the world and 14th among other universities in the country.However, since the 1990s, the university has been severely damaged by political parties and violent academic politics by Bangladeshi political parties.
As there was no university in the Chittagong division at the beginning of the twentieth century, the people of Chittagong felt the need for a university locally. On 28 December 1940, Maulana Muniruzzaman, in his speech at the All India Conference of Jamiat Ulama Hind in Calcutta, proposed the construction of an ‘Islamic University’ in the Chittagong region and for the same purpose he purchased land for the construction of a university at Deyang Hills in Anwara Upazila, Chittagong. Two years later, on 28 February 1942, Nur Ahmad formally demanded the establishment of a university in Chittagong in the Bengal Legislative Assembly.
In the sixties, during the formulation of the Second Five Year Plan of Pakistan (1960-1965), it was decided to set up a ‘Science University’ in Chittagong. Chittagong Government College, located in the city center, was selected as a potential campus for the construction of the university. In 1962, the then Deputy Director of Public Education of East Pakistan, Mohammad Ferdous Khan, prepared a preliminary draft plan for the establishment of the University of Chittagong. And after the election, when he was elected Union Minister of Education, he took formal initiative to establish a university in Chittagong.
After the initial decision to set up the university on the site of Chittagong Government College was reversed, a protest meeting was held on 7 May 1961 at the initiative of the residents of Chittagong at the local Muslim Hall. In his speech as the chief guest, Dr. Muhammad Shahidullah expressed his views in favor of establishing a university in Chittagong and formed the Chittagong University Struggle Council for its implementation. Subsequently, on 30 December 1962, another council called ‘Chittagong University Student Struggle Council’ was formed. At the initiative of all these organizations, communication and memorandums were issued at various levels, statements in newspapers and seminars were held. A public meeting was held on 9 December 1962 at Laldighi Maidan on the initiative of Sangram Parishad. On January 8, 1963, a strike was observed in the educational institutions of Chittagong under the leadership of Chhatra Sangram Parishad.
On 14 June 1973, the activities of the Chittagong University Museum began with four medieval cannons. At present, the museum has several ancient stone sculptures and a cannon, including several sandstone sculptures. The museum building is divided into five galleries. Where: Contemporary Art Gallery, Prehistoric and Archaeological Art Gallery, Sculpture Gallery, Folk Art Gallery and Islamic Art Gallery.
At the entrance to the main room of the museum is an ancient 12th century inscription. There are terracotta paintings from the 8th century Paharpur, Buddha statues, 10-15 medieval Vishnu statues, weapons used by the soldiers, various coins, ancient books, musical instruments, various relics of the Adivasis, porcelain pots etc. The contemporary art gallery has paintings by Shilpacharya Zainul Abedin, Kamrul Hasan, Rashid Chowdhury, Zia Uddin Chowdhury, Nitun Kundu Chowdhury and sculptures by Syed Abdullah Khalid. The prehistoric and archeological art gallery has ancient paintings, fossils, clay sculptures. The sculpture gallery has wooden idols, Vishnu idols, Shivlings etc. from the period from the eighth to the twelfth century. Seventeenth- and eighteenth-century copper, brass and aluminum utensils, cane baskets, earthen sculptures, in the Folk Art Gallery There is a huge stock of clay dolls etc. The Islamic Art Gallery features Mughal artillery, gold and silver coins, a handwritten Qur’an, medieval weapons, and pictures of ancient mosques and their ruins.
The museum is open to visitors on all opening days.
Museum of Zoology
It is located at Chittagong University. The museum was established in 1973 as a supporting institution in support of the curriculum of the Department of Zoology, University of Chittagong. About 540 specimens are preserved in this museum. Of these, 57 were animals and 485 were formalin (wet preserved) specimens.
Museum of Marine Resources
The museum has been set up in a room of the Institute of Marine Science, Chittagong University. About 550 marine animals have been preserved here. From sharks to electric fish, strange banakel, octopuses, snails, and snakes, there is innumerable wonderful biodiversity.
Memorial and Sculpture
Memorial Monument Seven freedom fighter
The sculpture is located at the entrance of the university. The architect of the monument is Syed Saiful Kabir, Professor of Fine Arts, Chittagong University. The sculpture commemorates the sacrifices and heroism of a total of 15 freedom fighters, including 1 teacher, 11 students and 3 officers and employees of the university in Chittagong during the Bangladesh War of Independence in 1971. There are a total of four steps from the land to the main altar of remembrance, each of which bears witness to the history of Bangladesh. The first stage reflected the language movement of 1952, the second stage the mass uprising of 1969, the third stage the election of 1970 and the fourth stage reflected the spirit of the liberation war of 1971. The memorial contains the names and pictures of seven freedom fighters of Chittagong University, they are- Chain Man Bir Pratik Mohammad Hossain of Engineering Department, Chaksur GS Abdur Rob, student Iftekhar Uddin Mahmud, Farhad-ud-Daulah, Nazim Uddin Khan, Deputy Assistant Engineer Prabhas Kumar Barua and Guard Syed Ahmed.
The intellectual monument is located on the opposite side of the Shaheed Minar of the university. The sculpture was erected in memory of the intellectuals killed in the war of independence of Bangladesh. The location of the pillar is known as the Intellectual Square. Renowned artist Rashid Chowdhury designed it. Established in 1985, the monument is now being considered as the birthplace of creative work of Chittagong University.
Freedom Memorial Mural
The location of the sculpture in front of the Faculty of Arts of the University. It was created with the sole efforts of Murtaza Bashir, a renowned artist and teacher of the Department of Fine Arts, University of Chittagong. Syed Saiful Kabir, a teacher at the Institute of Fine Arts of the university, designed the sculpture. In the sculpture, the symbolic construction of 4 birds depicts the six points of the Bengali and the sequence of the freedom movement and the memory of the 1952 language movement is inscribed on 21 pieces of stone on the wing of the bird. The main basis of the sculpture is based on the national flower shapla of Bangladesh. On March 25, 2010, the then Vice-Chancellor of the University, Abu Yusuf, and the Vice-Chancellor, Mohammad Alauddin.
Chittagong University Central Shaheed Minar
The central Shaheed Minar is located on the opposite side of the intellectual monument. It was established in 1993.
Chittagong University Medical Center
Chittagong University Medical Center is located near the law faculty of the university. It works to provide free medical care and take pathological examinations for university students, teachers and staff. Besides, free medical services are also provided for the family members of the teachers and staff. The medical center has a round-the-clock service, with doctors taking turns providing medical care. The center has 11 doctors and 4 ambulances. There are also 6 temporary beds in the medical center premises.
The mountain fountain behind the Faculty of Arts and Anthropology
Chittagong University Campus is a green land of natural beauty. Across the university campus there are winding paths, mountain paths, different species of trees and wildlife. Maya deer of small reddish brown color are often seen in the cut hills of the university, behind the Faculty of Commerce, Forestry area and other natural environments. These Maya deer are short and shy. However, the actual number of these deer is not known. There is also a beautiful mountain spring behind the Faculty of Arts and Anthropology
Chittagong University Library
The Central Library of Chittagong University is the largest library in Chittagong which is one of the richest libraries in the country. The library currently has a collection of about 3.5 lakh which includes rare books, journals, audio-visual material, manuscripts and Braille books for the blind. The journey of this library started with the inauguration of the university in November 1966 with only 300 books. The library moved to its current building in November 1990. The three-storey library has separate rooms for students, researchers and teachers. There is also an auditorium in the library building. The library has photocopies. The library also has a daily reading system for national and regional newspapers. The library is currently under automation
Chittagong University is located on a hilly and flat land of 1753.88 acres in the jungle west-patti mouza of Fatehpur union of Hathazari police station, about 22 km north of Chittagong city. The journey of this university officially started on November 18, 1966.
If you have more information or any correction in this information please comment here.